Skip to Services content

Telephone Identification Number (TID) or Calling Card for Long Distance Calls


Telephone Identification Numbers (TID) or Calling Cards enable you to make business-related international calls or send faxes from university phones. Click Request TID Assistance to request a TID or Calling Card or cancel or change billing information. For more information about using a TID or Calling Card, view the TIDs and Calling Cards Knowledge Base article.

Note: If you need to request multiple changes at once, please attach a spreadsheet to your ticket request listing the changes.


Employees with a business need to make toll calls and have supervisor approval may request a TID.


There is no charge to request a TID, but there are charges when you use a TID to make a toll call. Your TID will be associated with the university account to be billed. Funding information is required when submitting your request.

For additional information, check these categories in the Knowledge Base:

Telephone Articles

Voicemail Articles

Need other assistance? See the following related services:

Telecommunication Requests