Mountaineer Card and Mountie Bounty FAQ


Find out where to get your Mountaineer ID Card, where you can use it and how Mountie Bounty works. For help, visit the Request Assistance for Mountaineer Cards service page.

After registering for classes or going through employee payroll, you are eligible to receive your Mountaineer ID Card.

First-time students: First-time students moving into Morgantown residence halls in August can pick up their new Mountaineer ID Cards from the front desk staff at check-in. If you haven’t yet submitted your photo, please visit as soon as possible to submit a photo that meets WVU’s requirements. Be sure to complete the second step, which is to upload a legal photo ID as proof of your identity. This online process is the only way to request an ID card for fall 2020, and you must be registered for classes before your card will be created.

Returning students: Any Morgantown students living off campus and returning students who need to replace a card should follow the same online process outlined above. Photos may only be submitted online; ITS cannot accommodate walk-up requests. Starting Monday, Aug. 10, those not living in residence halls can pick up ID cards at the ITS Service Center in the Mountainlair, which is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Note: Please wait one business day after receiving the photo approval email to pick up your card. ITS will have extra weekend hours to support move-in, from 9 a.m. on Aug. 8-9 and Aug. 15-16. The Service Centers will be closed all other weekends.   

Potomac State students: Potomac State students will pick up ID cards upon check-in at residence halls. All other students will receive campus-specific information about cards soon. Please direct questions to For in-person support, students should visit the Student Affairs Office (Room 104) in the Administration Building. Call 304-788-6820 for hours and availability. 

WVU Beckley: Students living in residence halls at WVU Tech will pick up ID cards upon check-in. All other students will sign up to collect ID cards and/or parking permits here. The Office of Student Accounts will host pickups in five-minute increments August 19-28 in Benedum Center 111 (find Benedum on our campus map). Students and employees will receive helpful instructions for their pickup time after they sign up. Please direct questions to  

Employees: Visit your payroll department to get your Mountaineer ID Card.

View the Where to Use Your Mountaineer Card article for a list of WVU services and locations that require your card or accept Mountie Bounty.
Yes. You can receive a free card replacement if you've changed roles or departments at WVU. Submit a ticket to request a Mountaineer Card replacement, or visit an ITS Service Center

You must pay a $30 card replacement fee if you want a new ID picture, or a new legal name printed on your card. See the Mountaineer Card Fees document for more information.

If your card is lost or stolen, you should go to and click Report Lost Card. To get a new card, you must pay a $30 replacement fee. Charges are sent to your student billing account and can be paid in STAR. ONce you get your new card, you must go to and click Report Found Card.

If your card is damaged and is less than five years old, you must pay a $30 replacement fee. If it's five years or older, you can get a new card for free.

Mountie Bounty is WVU’s convenient debit plan that allows you to put a balance on your Mountaineer Card to pay for printing, laundry, food and more. View the Mountie Bounty article for depositing instructions.
Visit the Dining Services FAQ site to learn how Dining Dollars work and how they differ from Mountie Bounty.

Yes. Guests can make deposits at They will need to know your WVU username and should have a credit or debit card ready.

This varies from person to person. You can start small initially and add more if you frequently use on-campus services, like printing and laundry. Here are some common costs to consider:

Laundry: $1.50 per load

MyPrinting: $0.06 per page (black and white), $.25 per page (color)

Photocopying: $0.07 per page

Soda Vending: $1.50 per 20 oz. beverage

View Where to Use Your Mountaineer Card & Mountie Bounty article to learn more.

Mountie Bounty balances are carried forward each semester. Just make sure you use your Mountie Bounty before you leave WVU or request a refund. If you still have a balance 125 days after you leave WVU, or you don’t use your Mountie Bounty within 365 days, you will be charged a $10 fee. View the Mountie Bounty Debit Regulations for more information.
While there may be several reasons why a deposit transaction may be denied, the most common is incorrect address information or an incorrect CVV (security code). Be sure that you are using the address that is associated with the credit/check card. For example, some customers make the mistake of using a local address instead of a home/permanent address.

Also, be sure the CVV code is entered correctly. This is normally a three-digit number on the back of the card. Some check/debit cards are also not accepted if a PIN is required to complete a transaction. Only check/debit cards that can be used as credit cards are valid when making a Mountie Bounty deposit online. 
This is a common occurrence. In situations where a transaction failed, it may look like your bank account or credit card has been charged when it's actually a pending debit. In most cases, you will not need to do anything, as pending holds usually drop off automatically after 1 - 3 days depending on the issuing card's bank policy (occasionally, this can take as long as 7 - 10 business days). If more than 10 business days have passed since the failed deposit was initiated, you can submit a service request for Mountaineer Card Services to review.

West Virginia University does not have the ability to release an authorization hold. This can only be performed by the issuing card’s bank. Please pay careful attention to the billing information you've entered and ensure that it matches your credit card.


Article ID: 33945
Fri 7/21/17 11:24 AM
Tue 2/2/21 1:07 PM

Related Articles (2)